Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Kindness comes in many ways...

I had reservations at Embassy Suites Hotel in Palm Desert for my mom, dad and I.  I made them through Orbitz.  Originally we were going to go in July, but medical issues made me have to change that.   Orbitz did not want to give me a refund or change my dates (which is what I really wanted),  so I called the hotel directly to see if they could do something.  I spoke with a woman at the front desk named Esther.  I explained my situation and before I knew it, she had Orbitz agreeing to change my dates with no penalties at all.  Not only that, she guaranteed me that she would make sure that my mom and dad would get the special disability room and that I would get the room right next to them.  What's wonderful about that is that the room right next to them is what they called "an executive room" and it costs significantly more.  She made sure that I would not be charged extra because she wanted to accommodate me to be close to my mother.

We were suppose to go the last week in August, but for many reasons it seemed better that we go this week instead.  I then called Esther directly at the hotel and spoke with her.  Without hesitation, she changed my reservation and made sure the rooms would be ready for us yesterday. 

We got to the hotel yesterday, and everything was perfect; however due to my mom's medical condition,  we had to leave early this morning (Wednesday) and could not stay until Thursday.  I knew by leaving a day early I would lose that money, but it didn't bother me because my mother comes first.  When I got home from Palm Desert, I called the hotel and spoke to Esther.  I explained that we left and that I once again wanted to thank her for all her help and that I would recommend the hotel to everyone because the service had been supreme.  She asked me if I had come to the front desk to ask for a refund.  I told her no because I had prepaid with Orbitz and with everything that she had already done for me, she had gone above and beyond the call of great service.  We said our goodbyes and I hung up.

Approximately an hour later, I received a call from Orbitz.  They informed me that they would be refunding me tonight's charge for both rooms.  When I asked why they stated that a lady by the name of Esther at the hotel had called and stated that the hotel itself would not be collecting the money from Orbitz, so in turn Orbitz had to return the money to me.

I was shocked and amazed.  Her kindness exceeded anything I have seen lately.  She didn't know me or my family, and yet, she went out of her way to be kind to us and to make my life a little easier.

She didn't just pay it forward.. she paid it all the way till the end.  I believe that with her karma she will get back threefold what she gave.  I just hope that I get to see her again and be part of that karma.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment