Sunday, August 18, 2013

What is Friendship

Mikey and I had dinner tonight with a wonderful couple.  You could say that we've been friends for over 30 years, but that wouldn't be true, because the truth is we just reconnected about a year ago.  We see this couple often and everytime it's a fun experience. 

That started me thinking, (I know scarey thought), what is "true friendship"?  Webster defines friendship as
1
: the state of being friends
2
: the quality or state of being friendly : friendliness
3
obsolete : aid.  

In reading that definition it was easy to gather what #1 and 2 were referring to; however, number 3 caught me by surprise.  How is a friendship obsolete?  Does it mean that he holds no more significance any more and therefore no longer needed?  Why would that word be there?

All I can say is that I have found from retiring that many people whom I "thought" were my friends truly aren't anymore.  Maybe it's because for these people I have become "obsolete".  

Tell me your thoughts on friendship.  This is definitely a subject that can be expounded on.

No comments:

Post a Comment