Sunday, August 21, 2016

I remember when....but now I forget



When Michael and I first got together one of the hardest things for me was to introduce him to my parents.  It wasn't that I was embarrassed of him or vice versa but I just so desperately wanted to make sure that they got along. Well, luckily they hit it off; especially Michael and my father.  They shared a special relationship until my father passed away.  

So about 7 months into our relationship Michael decided to give my father a computer. He knew my father was a ferocious reader and thought he could be open to the world so much more with the internet.  Well... the funnest thing happened, my father did not take to the computer but my mother at 67 took to it like a fish in water.  She learned immediately how to "google", download songs from Limewire, e-mail (and add attachments) and play games.  Both of us were amazed at how quickly she took to it.  There was nothing my mother couldn't do on the computer.  But sadly, those times have changed.

Today I tried to teach my mom where she could go on the computer to follow our flight this week.  She used to love doing that with us.  She would log on to flightview and follow our plane everywhere we would go.  Today, she couldn't even grasp the concept of where to put the web address.  We tried over and over but she would get frustrated because she could not remember.  Yes, her memory is now getting progressively worse.  Since the death of my father she has spiraled downward with her ability to remember things.  She will tell you she "remembers something... and they she forgets".  It's extremely sad to see such a brilliant woman not be able to remember the simplest of things.  

So now it's somewhat like the movie "Groundhog Day". You tell her something, and the next day (or a couple of hours later) must tell her again.  She doesn't have Alzheimer's or Dementia according to my brother. She simply has "old age" syndrome.  

So my question to all of you today is: do you remember when you started to forget?  Has it happened to you or a loved one, and if so, how did you deal with it.  

I wish our ability to remember would stay and we would not forget......
 

No comments:

Post a Comment