Monday, May 3, 2021

It's Been a While

WOW....time has passed.  Where do I begin?  Why don't we start at the beginning.  The year 2017 was extremely difficult for me for so many reasons.  My mother's condition continued to deteriorate,  until I was forced to do what I swore I never would do, which was move her to assisted living.  I had promised my Dad, on his death bed,  that I would keep her home and care for her here; but it just got to be extremely too much.  It started in June when she tore her rotator cuff and needed around the care help.  I just couldn't provide that care at home, so I placed her in a facility two miles down the road from me.  It was a beautiful place, and were she in her right state of mind, she would have enjoyed it.  She didn't enjoy it.  She hated it all the time and simply wanted to go home.  I visited her every single day, without exception, and would stay there at least 2 hours visiting.  I would bring her her beloved Cookie (who was now living with me and who was 15 years old) every day to see him.  She just couldn't adjusted and started to get agitated much easier and had more physical problems.

By the first week of January, 2018, she developed a breathing problem, and when admitted to the hospital was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure.  While in the hospital she developed pneumonia.  She went into the hospital on January 12 and God took her home on January 18.  That's when I had to start to pick up the pieces.  Life without her would never be the same for me.  She was my tormentor, but she was my best friend, my hero, the 1/2 of the love of my life..(my father being the other 1/2) and I didn't know how to proceed without her.  But I did.

In March 2018, I realized I had much to do and packed up 48 years of memories in her and my father's house and hosted an estate sale.  My memories were going to other people and it was heart wrenching.  By July of 2018, I finally had settled my parents estate and realized it was my turn to start living and with the death of Cookie in October 2018, my last physical connection to them was gone.

Mike and I (yes we are still married and will celebrate our 20th anniversary this year) enjoyed 2019.  We traveled somewhat and we lived like a real married couple with out the obligations I always carried.  

In 2020, as we all know, the world came to a crashing halt.  COVID changed the way things were done.  Not believing in masks, I kept my self pretty much isolated at home from March until June,  when I signed up to run the RECALL NEWSOM in the City of Brea.  It was a success.

Now here we are...its 2021 and things are different again.  I finally had the emotional strength to sell my parents home (where I grew up and spent so many wonderful years), and with a portion of the funds I purchased a home in Palm Desert.  My parents loved the desert, as do I, and I felt it was an appropriate thing to do.  Mike loves it there (I dare say) more than here in our Brea home.  It's a new life.  One that I am taking one day at a time.

I would like to write here more often.  I think it brings me peace.  I will try.

Toodles,

Jeannette

No comments:

Post a Comment